With Family Day weekend quickly approaching I know many of us are brainstorming ways to have fun and explore with the kids. If you are like me you are also finding ways to keep them busy out of the house so there is less chance of arguing and picking up toys. I know not all of us have the Monday as a holiday but why not spend some time playing and taking a little mini vacation, or staycation, on the Saturday/Sunday?!
I have divided this into 2 posts because I am just so excited about all of the wonderful things to share! Here are my top places and things to do with the kids in Ottawa this weekend!
- Want to escape your house for the night but play tourist in your own city? We love the Brookstreet Ottawa, The Metcalfe and have also enjoyed having a kitchen for a longer staycation at the Marriott Residence Inn.
- Hop the bus in the morning and explore Ottawa by OC Transpo. Kids love riding the O-Train or even a double decker bus! Why not grab a treat at Art Is In Bakery, jump on the O-train for a ride and then head back downtown to enjoy Winterlude or head to Jacques Cartier Park.
- Parc Omega is a fascinating journey just an hour outside of Ottawa. Enjoy the sugar shack as a special treat, bring lots of carrots to feed and get up close and personal with many animals and get ready for some great photos!
- Canadian Museum of Nature has a butterfly exhibit that runs for another few months and you don’t want to miss out! You have to reserve a time slot of the butterflies which you can do online ahead of time or do the day of. This gives you time to enjoy the museum and explore!
- Escape to Chelsea & Wakefield. Okay, I may be a bit bias…..this is my neighbourhood. Come out in the morning and grab a coffee at my favourite coffee shop, Les Saisons. Then head over to Gatineau Park for an outdoor skate and walk a loop around the Sugar Bush Trail with the kids. Then head to Wakefield for a stroll along the river and enjoy some delicious goods from the bakery. On the way back to Ottawa stop by at Mosaivernaleshttps://www.mosaivernales.ca
- Dreamworks Animation is a feature at the Canadian Museum of History until April and I am really looking forward to visiting it with my 3 children. But can I make it through without singing “I like to move it move it” at least once? Probably not…….